Punished for scholarships and grants

Personal issue but I want to vent.

My situation in college is that my parents give me a set amount of money each month, any amount I earn or win in scholarships and grants above that is mine to keep. The money I get from my parents amounts to around $500 a month. To pay for everything I have won a substantial amount of scholarships over the years and havent taken out loans since freshman year.

My girlfriend has a similar situation. She hasn't gotten any scholarships or grants during her college career but probably gets about $1000 a month from her parents. She finally got a scholarship this year (because I helped her get it) and instead of her getting the money, her parents just proportionally decreased the amount of money they give her each month. So for her it was a net zero benefit. I am so pissed. What is the incentive to apply for scholarships if that is the case?


Punished for scholarships and grants