Selective Service

Some posts in another thread got me thinking about this. Here are some FAQ's:

https://www.sss.gov/QA

Some highlights:

Q:My son is an only son and the last male in our family to carry the family name. Is he exempt...?

A: No, the "only son," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving son" must still register with Selective Service.

These sons can be drafted. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.

(was that ever a thing?)


Q: What is the penalty for not registering?

A: Failure to register is a violation of the Military Selective Service Act. Conviction for such a violation may result in imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine of not more than $250,000.

(penalty seems a little excessive, dontcha think? I wonder if anyone has received anywhere close to the maximum penalty?

Q: Are undocumented immigrant males required to register?

A: Yes. All undocumented immigrant males 18 through 25 years of age, other than those admitted on non-immigrant visas, must register, whether or not they have a green card.

(I'm not gonna declare myself when I get to this country, but, oh boy, I better sign up for the draft! Could this be another tool in the war against illegal immigration? Get those Selective Service people pounding the pavement!)


Selective Service