Career Advice

I decided on becoming an actuary late in my academic career. I graduated last may and have been doing a temp job (which ends next month) while studying for my exams. I've passed my first exam (P) this month, but with no internship, I have slim chance of besting those that knew about actuarial science since high school/freshman year. I live in NY btw, so competition is considerably high. Since my temp job is ending soon, I need to make a decision soon.

I've considered my options, and this is what I've come up with:

1. Persist in applying for jobs (targeting smaller companies) while studying for FM in February (unemployed).

2. Look for another temp job and pass FM and MFE next year and restart my applications with 3 exams and no actuarial experience.

3. Since the job applications aren't going well, I was thinking of applying to graduate school to help with exam prep and acquiring an internship (last resort since I don't want to accumulate more loans).

4. Find a non-actuarial job at an insurance company. And eventually move into actuarial science as I complete more exams. Also, what positions would you suggest that will help with transferable skills? (Btw, I graduated with a BS in mathematics).

All input would be appreciated.


Career Advice