Medicare Supplement Plan Choices

My Dad recently became Medicare eligible and is retiring. His employer gives him $500 per year towards the purchase of a UHC Medicare supplement plan.

I don't have any professional experience in Med Supp so I haven't been too helpful. He narrowed down the choice to Plan F or Plan N. The difference in premium is about $70 per month.

There doesn't seem to be too many differences in plan design. Plan N doesn't cover the Part B deductible and there is up to a $20 copayment per office visit. One thing I don't fully understand is that Plan N does not cover "excess charges" but this is covered by Plan F. What constitutes an "excess charge" that providers may levy and how common is it?

My dad is reasonably healthy at the moment and only has 1 regular prescription for Advair.

Any other tips or suggestions for choosing between plans is appreciated.


Medicare Supplement Plan Choices