Considering quitting actuarial field to go into medicine

Medicine is something I had wanted to go into originally, but with the time commitment required and amount of debt from school, going for a job in the actuarial field seemed to make more sense economically. Now almost a year into the job and really feeling the regret of doing so.

When I think about it logically, it seems like such a dumb@$$ move to leave a career with so much income potential and stability, to go back to school, incur more debt and time studying. Especially when the work that is required as an actuary isn't "hard" per se, the amount paid for what is expected feels rather skewed. But inside I feel spending the next 35+ years doing this would have no meaning when compared to going into medicine doing something that directly affects people's lives.

So I'm posting for outlooks and insights on this, from any that have considered switching, those who have, or didn't, why I should leave or why I'm being such a complete idiot to leave to pursue what many would see like a fool's dream. As I get medicine isn't anything like it is shown on tv, and most of the time people will not even acknowledge or appreciate what you do for them, but that doesn't really matter to me, it's in the actual doing that makes me want to go. I have the support of my family to switch, granted though it will makes a bit harder financially, but luckily I did married someone who makes a good amount of money that we don't have to live in a cardboard box if this switch is made :spnner:


Considering quitting actuarial field to go into medicine